Tuesday, 28 July 2026

End of ST1

This week marks my last week as an ST1, where I've been based mainly in the Grange University Hospital (Cwmbran) for the past year.

I've genuinely had such a fun and interesting year. It's been hugely hard work, with long hours and nauseating rota patterns, but I've learnt and done so much this year that I never imagined I would (caesarean sections, forceps deliveries, managing obstetric and gynaecology wards and emergency patients). I've also benefited from an amazing team of supportive and lovely doctors, midwives, nurses, and everyone else. 

I don't tend to take many photos at work, so here are a few snippets from this past year. 

Laparoscopy training.

A wee pumpkin hat! The Christmas pudding hats came later and what can I say, I love a tiny hat. 

Instrumental delivery training. 

Reading during a break on a gynaecology night shift. Once I moved to obstetrics, breaks were no longer a thing!

Pumpkins showing cervical dilatation. 

The view from my 'office'.

Working Christmas day!

Many post nights breakfasts, a new tradition I was introduced to by my favourite registrar.

I've got quite a few photos of our classic NHS working conditions, including dodgy keyboards and tiny tiny screens. 

Hopefully my next ID card will say of which speciality I am a trainee...



Selfie time!


Last week a wee garden party was organised to celebrate the end of our year (doctors tend to think in August-August due to rotations), and say farewell to those of us who are leaving. At some point when a speech was made, we realised I was the only one there who was actually going! (more people turned up later). Lots of lovely snacks in the walled garden by our hospital.

And a sad goodbye to my favourite reg for the past 5 months, who has not only taught me so much but has also been a companion in discussing romantasy books! Look at the gorgeous card she made!!


Next week I'm off to Cardiff for the next 2 years of my training. I've worked in this department before, back in my FY2 year in 2023/24, so much has likely changed but hopefully there should be some familiar faces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment