Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Cwm Llwch

Yesterday I had a day of annual leave, so headed to the Brecons for some much needed time in the hills. I tend to use my annual leave for sleeping and doing chores, so it was a real treat that I managed to motivate myself to get out yesterday. Well done me!

I woke up early enough to get a space in the car park (by my estimations - there was actually plenty of room all day it seems), but didn't think about the weekday rush hour traffic so sat in that for a little while. 

This is my I-don't-want-to-suncream-my-arms top. It worked well!

I chose to do the route anti-clockwise, meaning that I started on a road rather than ending on it. It worked well in some ways, as the view was spectacular either way, however I'd do it clockwise next time - keep reading to find out why ;)  


It started through some quiet fields past the usual residents.

I had a great view of Pen y Fan and Corn Du throughout. This route (apart from the summit bits) were very quiet the whole way, passing only a few people on the descent.

This direction took me past Cwm Llwch lake just as I was hitting the first steep bit of the ascent. The path down to the lake wasn't clear until you were nearly above it, and I didn't fancy losing elevation to see the lake - I wanted to huff and puff my way to the summit before resting. This is why I'd do it anti-clockwise next time (potentially up via the Cribyn ridge), as you get to enjoy and appreciate this lake on the way home. 

The next steep bit took me up past the obelisk to memorise Tommy, a 5-year old boy who became lost and died on the mountain in 1900. This is where the wind really picked up and I invented clipping my hat to my plait with the hope that if it decided to fly off my hair would catch it. Thankfully, I didn't need to test this!

Next up were the familiar summits of Corn Du and Pen y Fan. Whilst not too busy, queue etiquette for a photo at the top was still questionably observed... 

This was my lunch view. Cribyn is the one I call 'pyramid' looking, in the same way that I say Sugar Loaf looks like a volcano. 

Gorgeous views!

I'm always desperate for tea and cake after a walk, so I made my way to the Garwnant Visitor Centre just a 20 minute drive south by the Llwyn-on reservoir. Bara brith for £1! I've visited the other visitor centre (there are likely more than 2 I know) so wanted to try a new place, and this one looks fab for activities for the family or nice wee walks. 



Mark is in Fontainebleau (southeast of Paris) on his annual friends' bouldering trip. Their climbing was cut short by the forest fires over there, but they managed to get 3 good days in whilst still staying sensible about the risk. Rumour has it that he was at a Tour de France stage today, but I've not heard anything from him yet! Pictures to follow if he remembers to send me any. 


My other highlight was that today I walked out of work to find an ice cream truck giving free Mr Whippys to staff - yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment