Monday, 13 April 2026

28

Yesterday, it was my birthday! I sent Mark to fetch some breakfast goodies from Ty Melin bakery before we drove to the Brecons for a birthday walk around Pontsticill Reservoir. 

One of the best things about Mark having a licence is that I can now eat when we drive to places. 

Despite the inclement weather, we had a gorgeous walk. The walk had everything we wanted - nice clear paths, variety of reservoir-side and forests, waterfalls, a cafe (with public toilets!), a pub at the end, a steam railway (Brecon Mountain Railway), and even a sheltered bus stop perfectly timed for putting on waterproofs when the first shower started. What else do you need? It picks up the Taff Trail in parts, which is definitely a gravel bike rather than a road bike trail. 

Ready to go!

Steam train or Mark's ear on fire, you decide. 

The reservoir wasn't quite full enough for us to see the plug hole spillway in action. 

Pontsticill station. 

Toilets!! (I'm easily excited)

Happy walkers (this is Mark's happy face). 

Path alongside the railway. Choo choo! We (I) ran up the small hill to catch it as it passed - worth it. 

Waterfalls in the distance through the forest. We stopped nearby next to a footbridge and had some flask tea (hot drinks in flasks always have a peculiar taste, don't they?). 

Pub time - chips for lunch (shh, don't tell my mum). 

Pen-y-Fan in the distance! We weren't able to see this on our walk but we spied it as we drove off and pulled over to snap a quick picture. 

We spent the afternoon opening presents and cards (thank you everyone!), cooking moussaka, eating cake, and watching Harry Potter. 

Now I have the birthday blues - only 364 days to go...




No comments:

Post a Comment