Wednesday, 17 September 2025

Tour of Britain

I first noted a few months ago that the Tour of Britain was likely to finish in Cardiff to honour cyclist Geraint Thomas who is retiring this year. I swiftly invited dad up for the weekend (Caitlin apparently has more important places to be) as I’ve heard he’s fond of a bike.

He arrived on the Saturday (bringing with him my lost Bananagrams, which is pretty much the only game Mark will play with me). We mooched out in the evening and enjoyed the Everyman cinema for a drink with views. 

On the Sunday we first stopped for dad’s favourite meal, brunch, before heading up to see the finish line & look for goodies. The Cardiff 10k was also that morning so Cardiff felt very busy! Mark kindly exerted himself on a static bike to earn us some casquettes… only for us to see later they were handing them out for everyone else too. Dad was very pleased when we spotted they were handing out cowbells too. 

We found a spot about 100m up from the finish line and waited. The atmosphere was great! We saw a sprint finish (but had no idea who had won until later) and cheered as G wheeled in. The final race presentation less focus on the stage or race winner than the Welshman of honour. 

I hear the Tour of France is coming to the UK in 2027 - hopefully we’ll see another stage then!




1 comment:

  1. Caitlin had a pre-existing holiday booked with friends!

    ReplyDelete